Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Jambalaya





Recently, I created an package illustration depicting Jambalaya for Cost Plus World Market. Let me show you how I go about working on a project such as this, from my first rough sketch to final color artwork.

After receiving a layout and a list of ingredients, I generate a first rough sketch (shown top). This first sketch was not conceptual as there were specific elements wanted, so this sketch was tighter than I usually work, and it was immediately approved with no revisions, so I transferred the sketch to black claybord.

The process of removing black ink through drawing and scratching is reminiscent of creating wood and linocuts, but is much faster, and the process is done face up, rather than in reverse. (Shown with the black background are a few stages of how I work from dark to light).

After the B/W claybord illustration is completed, (shown second from the bottom) it is scanned. The illustration is then colored in layers utilizing Adobe Photoshop. (Shown bottom is the final colored illustration). If there are any color revisions requested by the client, they can be easily made before the illustration is flattened and emailed.

For several years, when my children were younger and living at home, we use to go backpacking every summer with a few other dads and their children. Each of the dad's would be responsible for providing one of the meals on the excursion. One of the dads brought Jambalaya every year. Of course it was dehydrated and out of a box. To this day I have never cared for Jambalaya. We will have to see if this product is any better.............

No comments:

Post a Comment