Monday, September 20, 2010

Pro Bono Camp Cody






Occasionally, I am contacted about doing a Pro Bono Job. It would be great to be able to help out everyone with such a request
but time and work load are two factors that affect my willingness to help out. Also, I am particular about who I am working for
as I have to believe in the organization or the cause. I was contacted early this year by a designer in Sacramento about creating a logo for a Boy Scout Troop which her son belongs to. The logo was to be of Camp Cody Lake, where the scouts camp and boat for two weeks each year, and have been doing so since 1930. The logo was to be used on hats, shirts, stationary etc.

My first attempt was far too detailed, so I ended up redoing the illustration and converting it to vector based art. The project took 6 months and much patience on the designer's part, as I had to juggle it amongst other deadlines. In the end I think we were both happy. She also ended up paying me a small fee out of her own pocket so I can't say that it was all Pro Bono. Shown here are my initial sketch, Final BW art, Revised Final BW art (simplified version) and Final color art.

No comments:

Post a Comment